Home food preservation is a way to preserve the freshness of homegrown food. While more popular in years past, preserving food at home is still done today. Without factoring in the labor costs, home food preservation can save money compared to commercially preserved foods.
When done properly and safely, home preserved foods are a treat. But when improper practices and unsafe food handling techniques are used, the food can cause foodborne illness. Learn more about this at:
Home Canning and Botulism - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
A church potluck luncheon has been the source of a botulism foodborne illness outbreak in Ohio. The likely source is home canned potatoes used to make potato salad. Sadly, this could have been prevented.
2017 Food Preservation Classes
Food preservation classes are for anyone! If you are a new FCS Agent, a 4-H Foods leader or member, or just want to learn about food preservation, sign up! The current list of classes I have scheduled are as follows:
August 9 - Post Rock District, contact Ashley Svaty, 785-524-4432
August 10 - River Valley District, contact Gina Aurand, 785-527-5084
Other classes are also being taught by local Extension offices. Contact your local office for more information.
Do you learn visually? If so, these videos are for you! Topics include the science of home canning, choosing recipes, water bath canning, pressure canning, and much more.
- Recipe publications en Español - July 2016
- How-to Guide to Pressure Canning (Spanish)
- How-to Guide to Water Bath Canning and Steam Canning (Spanish)
- Here's the Dill!, video
- Guidelines of using an Atmospheric Steam Canner for Home Food Preservation - June 2015
- 10 Tips for Safe Home-Canned Food (Spanish)
- Sassy Safe Salsa at Home (Spanish)
- What's Your Elevation? (Spanish)
- Dry Meat Safely at Home (Spanish)
- Put It Up! - Youth curriculum from University of Georgia
- Canning Lids 101
- Canning in Electric Multi-cookers
- Green Beans and Botulism
- Ball® FreshTECH Electric Water Bath Canner
- Ball® FreshTECH Jam and Jelly Maker
- Ball® FreshTECH Automatic Home Canning System
- Acidifying Tomatoes When Canning
- Canning Homemade Soups
- Canning in Pressure Cookers
- Canning on Portable Burners
- Canning on Smooth Cooktops
- Canning Your Own Salsa Recipe
- Pre-Sterilizing Jars before Canning